Thursday, March 24, 2005

For Good Friday

The Heart of Jesus
On The Day of The Lord

Disbelief at disbelief,
Healing man, Obedient to Father.

Seeing with eyes what man could not,
Hearing with ears that knew the prisons
Man had bought.

Declaring release to all,
Through the Power of the Spirit,
The Power of the Spirit upon Him,
The Favour of the Lord on His day.

Heavy, Torn, Aching,
Loving man, Loving Father.

Obedient, Bold, Strong,
Loving Father, Loving man.

Forsaken, Alone, in Agony,
Crying out,
Shaking earth's bowels
To depths before known not.
It is finished,
Weep not for me,
My task complete.

Yours but beginning,
For the world I weep,
Pick up my Cross,
If you dare, if you dare.
And if you do
There is one promise I make to you:
It is there I will be,
I will give you all you need.

Go on My Way,
For THIS IS
The Day Of The Lord.

maggie 1998

3 Comments:

Blogger sue_sue said...

Maggie:

thanks for sharing your poem. Definately a gamble in my opinion when the topic has to do with the whole premise of the Christian religion.

The use of single resounding adjecives is ver effective in declaring the finality of the decision for the event. Even Jesus' prayer in the garden at midnight for the cup to pass him by, was not heeded by the father.

The repeation of phrases, words, and structure was also effective in conveying your thoughts. Which I think were that Jesus was a loving, strong individual who was left to carry this burden of saving humanity alone. It wasn't something that he asked for but it was certainly something that he accepted and accomplished in the most painful way possible; death.

I think that even those of us that aren't overly religious can relate to this poem. The theme of accomplishing and overcoming something that is larger than us can apply to most people. Usually to complete this larger taks, we face it alone. Pushing our own limits to the breaking point and it is after we are lying broken on the floor that we pick of the pieces of our former selves and rise again.

sv

March 26, 2005 at 4:46 PM  
Blogger maggiesong said...

Tamara...thank you.

April 9, 2005 at 8:41 PM  
Blogger maggiesong said...

Sue,
I'm not sure why the poem I posted should be considered a "gamble". Is the "whole premise of the Christian religion" a taboo subject these days?

April 9, 2005 at 8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home