Monday, April 11, 2005

Two Finds

In looking through an old Copp Clark textbook used in Ontario Schools (pub. 1941), I found the following poems. Kathleen Davidson was born in 1920, but otherwise, it reported in this book that there was no biographical information on her. I did a search but came up empty-handed. Clara Bernhardt was born in 1911. They are both Canadian poets, but this is all I could find, as listed in this old book.

In After Years
Someday, in after years, when time has fled
And vibrant lips are withered, pale and old,
I shall remember many things you said,
And how the sun could touch your hair with gold.

Oh, I shall think of all the things I loved,
With quiet peace, the flower of youth's swift pain;
Of slender hopes and dreams, whose shadows moved
Across my sky, then died like falling rain.

Strange things I shall remember then: cool sand,
Old houses, embers flowing, and a sigh,
A frenzied wind, the comfort of a hand,
Still waters, surging music, a soft cry.

And I shall smile, remembering a word
You did not say, my dear, but which I heard.

Clara Bernhardt

Two Prayers
Two men went forth at eventide,
Over the purpling drift of the downs,
Beyond gold rings of lantern light,
And the rusty singing of coarse-souled towns.

And one was a tall and splendid youth,
His dark eyes starred with a keen desire,
And all the wisdom of nineteen years
Frowned in his brow and his eyes' fire.

The other was gnarled and twisted and old,
His brown face leathered with wind and dew,
But his eyes were lamps full of welcome light
As though he had met a friend he knew.

Both went to pray 'neath the great, green boughs,
The youth knelt pleading with cries and tears,
He spoke to God in a frenzy of fire,
Telling his needs, and desires, and fears.

The old man stood 'neath the whispering trees,
Silent, above the star-deep sod,
With parted lips and glowing face,
Listening to God.

Kathleen Davidson

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a writer from Cambridge, ontario and I recently came across some info on Clara Bernhardt while researching some local war vets. Here's a link http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:iVRshXucQ1kJ:library.wlu.ca/libinfo/dept/outline/Bernhardt.pdf+poem+clara+bernhardt&hl=en

and another

http://www.city.cambridge.on.ca/cs_pubaccess/hall_of_fame.php?aid=73

hope it helps

Scot Ferguson

July 18, 2005 at 7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home